Fulmor Race to Pelican Bay
The Fulmor (named after Ira P. Fulmor) race from Santa Barbara to Pelican Bay has long been a tradition for SBYC racers. It will begin with a race from Santa Barbara Yacht Club to Pelican Bay on Saturday, August 21st and end with a race back on Sunday, August 22nd. On Saturday night, there will be lots of fun and hanging out in one of the most beautiful locations in the world. Check out the logistics section below to see how the event works. Trophies will be awarded for both races and overall winners. Sign up for a great weekend getaway and race!
For visiting boats, Santa Barbara’s central California location provides easy access from anywhere between San Diego and San Francisco. Trailer storage and dockage will be available for the event. SANTA BARBARA CHANNEL Santa Barbara Channel offers 50 miles of unparalleled scenery. It is bordered by the Channel Islands National Park to the south and the ‘American riviera’ to the north. In July, the venue typically provides a sea breeze of 12-18 knots from the WSW, but has a variety of wind conditions and average temperatures of 77 degrees.
The city of Santa Barbara is one of Southern California’s top family vacation destinations, and offers a wide range of options for racers and their ‘shore crew’.
SANTA BARBARA YACHT CLUB
One of the oldest clubs on the west coast, Santa Barbara Yacht Club has served racing sailors since 1872. Its current location overlooks the mountains, beaches, and harbor of Santa Barbara. The club supports a wide range of one design, dinghy, and rating rule classes for all ages. The members welcome all regatta participants to enjoy SBYC, the city, and the excellent sailing conditions of Santa Barbara.
If you have further questions, please contact the Santa Barbara Yacht Club Race Office: [email protected] or (805) 965-8112.
Notice / Protest Board
Saturday, August 21
Time Event Location
0900 Competitor briefing SBYC Lower Deck
1015 Warning signal for race 1 for all classes Santa Barbara Channel
1020 Start signal for race 1 for all classes
Awards will be announced via VHF radio channel 71 at Santa Cruz Island
Sunday, August 22
1100 Warning signal for race 2 for all classes Santa Cruz Island – Pelican Bay
1105 Start signal for race 2 for all classes
After Racing Awards SBYC Lower Deck
Appetizer gift certificates will be given to all participating boats
The idea of the Fulmor Race is that each boat fends for themselves in most ways. Often times there is a boat where people congregate, but this is unexpected this year. That
Provided Items (what SBYC is providing)
- Cooler full of beer to share with arriving racers.
- Champagne bottle upon arrival.
- Warm dinners will be available for purchase during the registration process and must be purchased in advance. It is anticipated to be rice and gumbo that will come in quarts with utensils, bowls, and a garbage bag.
- Assistance anchoring in pelican bay upon request.
- Shuttle boat to taxi crew to shore or to other boats upon request (channel 71). The shuttle boat shuts down at roughly 8:00pm.
- Garbage bags may be deposited on the shuttle boat on Sunday morning prior to the race.
What you need to bring
- Bow and stern anchor.
- Lunch for Saturday, breakfast for Sunday, Lunch for Sunday for you and your crew.
- Sleeping accommodations for you and your crew.
- Usual arrival at the island is 3-5pm on Saturday, so there will be time to swim, check out the island, and hang out, so you may want to encourage crew to bring some recreational items for non-racing time.
- 2021 Results - Overall
- 2021 Results - Race to Pelican Bay (Race 1)
- 2021 Results - Race Back (Race 2)
- 2021 Photos
- 2020 Results
- 2019 Results - Overall
- 2019 Results - Race to Pelican Bay (Race 1)
- 2019 Results - Race Back (Race 2)
- 2018 Results - Overall
- 2018 Results - Race to Pelican Bay (Race 1)
- 2018 Results - Race Back (Race 2)
- 2018 Results - CHRF (Race 1)
- 2018 Results - CHRF (Race 2)
- 2017 Results
- 2016 Results
- 2015 Results
- 2014 Results
- 2013 Results
- 2012 Results
- 2011 Results